[Dixielandjazz] Facebook

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 10 09:26:24 PDT 2008

If your band plays local gigs to general audiences, you might be
interested in the below article about Facebook, from Ariel Publicity.
It is the 4th most trafficked web site in the world with 110 million
active users. And, it is FREE.

If you want to receive Ariel's bi-weekly promotional newsletter, see
the last paragraph. It is also FREE and usually has some interesting
band marketing tips (like this one) in each issue.

Cheers,

Steve Barbone

www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband

Getting Started & Ariel’s Top 6 Facebook Apps For Musicians

Facebook is here to stay. I know a lot of artists who are already
overwhelmed with MySpace tend to feel daunted by the whole concept of
introducing yet another social network into their lives. On September
4, 2008 Facebook launched “new” Facebook and the new interface is
easier to use than before.

You won’t believe how many people who you never saw around MySpace are
on Facebook. All of a sudden you will be back in touch with your
babysitter from grade school, a ton of old friends, and even the
drummer from your first band. And, if you have been resisting because
you think Facebook is just for kids in college, you are mistaken. The
largest demographic on Facebook is over 25. It’s the 4th most-
trafficked website in the world and it’s the number one photo sharing
application. Read the full stats here:http://www.new.facebook.com/press/info.php?statistics

With over 110 million active users it’s here to stay so my advice is
DIVE in (if you haven’t already).

Here is a quick rundown for newbies on how to create a page as a
band / musician and my favorite apps for Musicians when pimping out
your Facebook profile!

FACEBOOK FOR NEWBIES – HOW TO SET UP A PROFILE

STEP ONE: Create a Band / Artist Profile
Go Here: http://www.new.facebook.com/pages/create.php

STEP TWO: click on the third button down, it will say: Artist, Band,
or Public Figure

STEP THREE: Select Band or Musician After you select it, a pull down
menu will pop up. Select band it if you are a band, or musician if you
play solo or want to create a solo-page (you can create as many as you
want so you can create one for you and one for your band).

STEP FOUR: Enter Your Name Name your page and select create page. You
are now off to the races!

The rest is pretty self-explanatory – you will upload your photo for
your main user icon, your bio, band members and photos and details.

STEP FIVE: Click Create Page Now you are live and ready to add Apps!
What is an App? It’s short for application and it is simply a cool
additional tool that you can add to your page so that you can display
features such as music, photos, and videos.

Facebook has a great page that explains how to help you with apps.
FAQ’s are here: http://www.new.facebook.com/help.php?page=25

And the whole list of available apps is here:http://www.facebook.com/apps/

Here are my top picks for musicians and links to where you can
download the apps for your own profile.

1. Music By Reverb Nation
Play Your Tunes
http://www.facebook.com/apps/application.php?id=
6452028673&b= &ref=pd_r_c

Musicians and bands can post unlimited songs for streaming or
download, add bios and band photos, sell your music and have your
friends add your music and share with their friends (viral marketing
for you!). This app also includes links to your homepage and you can
add up to 30 of your songs (full-length) to your Facebook Musician
Page. And the best part: great stats track song-play activity.

2. Vod:Pod
Display Your Videos
http://www.facebook.com/apps/application.php?id=
2398125241&b&ref=pd

I am a big advocate in creating small casual videos to share with your
fans. Videos are an excellent viral marketing tool. This app is the
easiest way to show your videos and your favorite videos. This is a
good place to display backstage moments, live shows and of course your
music videos

3. zuPort
Show your Flickr photos
http://www.facebook.com/apps/application.php?id=
2893465429&b&ref=pd

If you are a Flickr user zuPort automatically imports your public
Flickr photostream so you can show off even more photos to your
friends. zuPort: Flickr keeps your sets, collections, tags, comments
and everything else linked so you only have to update only once.

4. Twitter
Tweet Away and Have It Synched!http://www.facebook.com/apps/application.php?id=
2231777543&b&ref=pd

This app allows you to update your status on Facebook straight from
your mobile phone. So you can be on the road but your facebook page
can be updated from your van! Pretty cool eh?

5. Facebook Mobile
Bring Facebook on the go
http://www.facebook.com/apps/#/mobile/

This app allows you to use Facebook on the go. With it, you can
quickly to upload photos and notes from your camera phone straight to
Facebook. You can also receive and reply to Facebook messages, pokes
and Wall posts using text messages, or use your phone’s mobile browser.

6. iCast By iLike
Tell your fans your news
http://www.facebook.com/apps/application.php?id=
6917629807&b=&ref=pd_r_c

Send bulletins to fans with iCast, the best bulletins system on
Facebook. You can send multimedia or mobile bulletins, or just plain
blogs. Your bulletins will show not only to Facebook fans, but also
via iLike across 10 different networks. They are the go to app for
communicating your music to your fans.

7. iLike this Artist
Show off to your fans
http://www.facebook.com/apps/application.php?id=
6627984866&b=&ref=pd_r_c

Musicians, you can show off your fans on iLike on your artist page.
This will add an "iLike this artist" button on your page, and will
show your (larger) fan count across the entire iLike network.

Happy facebooking and please find me and join our group which features
loads of free tips for musicians:
http://www.facebook.com/people/Ariel_Hyatt/571390595

Sign up for our bi-weekly musicians tips newsletter Sound Advice here:http://www.arielpublicity.com

Steve Barbone