[Dixielandjazz] Jazz For Kids

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 2 12:38:27 PDT 2008

Here's how one guy does it when explaining and playing jazz for kids.
Any Dixieland Band can use this type of approach, but also stay within
the confines of OKOM. Main point I would make is that bands like mine
don't get hung up tying to teach kids about the detailed history of
jazz, but give them a few pointers about what the music is, play it,
and get them involved. Works for us.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

October 2, 2008 - Santa Inez Valley Journal- By Margo Kline, Staff
Writer

JAZZ FOR KIDS

Jazz luminaries Stix Hooper and Bobby Rodriguez, fronting an ensemble
of professional instrumentalists, opened the ears and minds of Santa
Ynez Valley students Sept. 25 at Solvang School.
Musicians deliver jazz to kids

More than 800 kids from local schools filled the bleachers and floor
of the school’s gym as Rodriguez, Hooper and the band took them
through the various forms of jazz. The students represented 11 area
schools, grades three through twelve.

The jazz professionals were in Solvang for the second annual Jazz
Festival, and many of the students had heard Rodriguez during last
year’s inaugural jazz fest. Hooper, the drummer with the original Jazz
Crusaders, took the mike first to welcome the students, urging them to
“sit back and relax and listen and enjoy.” Hooper also reminded the
kids, “Jazz is American. It was born right here in America, and it has
gone out all over the world.”

Then on came trumpeter Rodriguez, who guided the students through the
categories of jazz, naming each one and exhorting his audience to yell
the words back to him. After each category was named, Rodriguez led
the band in a sample of the music.

“Jazz is different, it keeps changing all the time,” he told the kids,
and the band struck up “When the Saints Go Marching In.” What kind of
music is this?” he asked. “Dixieland!” The youngsters chanted back in
unison: “Dixieland!” Next, Rodriguez gave a sample of the blues,
blowing the trumpet and singing about his roots in East L.A. Rodriguez
told the kids in a mournful tone, “The blues are meant to express
sorrow, when you feel deeply in your heart, like when you’ve forgotten
to do your homework.”

He turned serious for a description of how he became a trumpeter while
growing up in East L.A.  “When I was eight years old, I saw a guy
playing the trumpet on TV,” Rodriguez reminisced. “I told my mom that
was what I wanted to do for the rest of my life. And she said ‘No! “I
kept asking her, ‘Can I play the trumpet?’ and she would say ‘No!’
“Then, when I was ten years old, I started taking out the trash, every
day. When I asked her again, ‘Now can I play the trumpet?’ she said,
‘Oh, okay. You’d probably do it anyway.’”

Rodriguez also stressed his educational achievements, attending
college and earning first a bachelor’s degree and then a master’s
degree. He has taught jazz at UCLA, USC and other institutions of
higher learning.  “And finally,” he boomed, “after 35 years, I earned
my doctorate!”

The lesson of his achievements, he said, is: “Don’t give up on your
dreams. If Bobby Rodriguez can make it, so can you.”

Then he returned to the subject at hand, the varieties of jazz. The
third category was 1940s swing, and several students sitting on the
floor started to do a version of the Wave, but teachers cautioned them
not to. The band played “Sing, Sing, Sing” and Rodriguez then
demonstrated the art of improvisation, blowing a standard “Jingle
Bells” and embroidering on it to show swing’s capacity to nurture
originality.

Continuing his ode to the broad scope of jazz, Rodriguez began
scatting, nonsense syllables that had the kids laughing. After a long
string of scatting, he urged the kids to try it and they gave it their
best shot.

That, he explained, is bebop, and then he played Charlie “Bird”
Parker’s “Scrapple from the Apple.” By now, the audience was
pulsating, the kids roaring their approval.

Finally, Rodriguez handed out “percussion instruments” – mostly
maracas – to a handful of youngsters and began the introduction to
Latin jazz. This is the focus of various ensembles which Rodriguez
leads in gigs and on recordings. He and the band played Frank Foster’s
“Shiny Stockings” while the “percussionists” formed a conga line and
wound their way through the audience.

A highlight of the hour-long concert was the introduction of Jae Eun
Chang, 15, playing the piano solo which won first place in the Solvang
Jazz Festival competition for young jazz artists. She is a student at
Santa Ynez Valley Union High School.
The Solvang Jazz Festival’s professionals have the stated aim of
teaching young musicians the art of jazz, and Rodriguez, Hooper and
the band members stayed after the concert to conduct master classes.