[Dixielandjazz] How Well Do You Hear Music?

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 30 14:16:17 PST 2008

>  Gluetje1 at aol.com  wrote   about the test at: http://jakemandell.com/tonedeaf/OnlineScreen450.swf
>

> This test is curious.  It does not, in my case, have much retest
> reliability.  I took it about a year ago, scored somewhere in high
> normal  range, took it
> again a few hours later and increased my score by about  25 per cent
> as I
> recall.  I don't consider tone deafness  correctable in a matter of
> hours.  Focus
> IS correctable within minutes  or hours.  I agree it is testing
> musical
> memory which Jake  Mandell says it does during his discussion in
> other web pages.
> Just took it again tonight, was back to high normal. LOL.  It was also
> interesting in reviewing the results that I missed 5 of the last
> 8.   Did the last
> 8 suddenly get more complex or was there another  variable?  Could
> not find
> anything about whether the last samples were  considered more
> complex.  I
> suppose from the standpoint of research, once  Mandell defines his
> terms then his
> test can measure relative to his definition,  then he can have
> conclusions.  But
> from a research point of view their  are various kinds of validity and
> reliability.
> Ginny

Dear Ginny:

I agree with your thoughts that "focus" might be one variable. I
listened carefully, in my home office, no distractions. I expected to
hear them all correctly, I missed 2 out of the 36 samples.

Could be in the last samples of the test you took were simply a result
of less focus due to boredom. One of the two I missed, was out of the
last eight.

Then again, it could be the variety of sounds that the test includes.

I think (based on opinion, not research <grin>) that all of us hear
music quite differently. I also think that many people don't "hear"
what is going on in music. Especially when listening to chords. I'd
love to take a similar test with chords instead of single note runs.

As an aside, one of the thing Marsalis said about Jonathan Russell to
the audience at Lincoln Center earlier this month went something like:
"Did you hear his improvised line during his solo? He played correctly
within the subtle passing chord changes in the tune. He heard them.
Most jazz players would simply skip over them, not hearing them, and
play what they want, but he heard and made all the correct changes."

You know, as a jazz musician, how hard we work to improvise correctly
and swing.  Among all the band noise, and crowd noise and other
distractions (pretty girls in the audience in my case) we must hear
the changes and correctly fold our improv into them and swing. How
much of that does the audience really hear or understand?

Perhaps that explains my main beef with non-playing critics. <grin>

I guess that, like most opinion research, the results depend largely
upon how one asks the question. And, how well the responder
understands the question.

In a week or so, I am going to re-test myself from a less focused
standpoint, (adding a little OKOM background noise) and expect to
score lower.

Cheers,
Steve