[Dixielandjazz] Band in Dragnet, The 1954 Movie

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 30 13:04:50 PST 2008

On Nov 30, 2008, at 3:00 PM, dixielandjazz-request at ml.islandnet.com
wrote:

> Anton Crouch <anton.crouch at optusnet.com.au>
> Subject: [Dixielandjazz] Dragnet
> To: DJML <dixielandjazz at ml.islandnet.com>
>
> Hello all
>
> I've just seen Jack Webb's 1954 movie Dragnet on late-night TV.
>
> About 1/2 hour in, it has a very nice OKOM scene - trumpeter Dick
> Cathcart leading a swinging septet (tpt, tb, cl, pno, sb, g and dms).
>
> Does anyone have any info on this performance? The only music (other
> than the Dragnet theme) mentioned in various references is the song
> "Foggy night in San Francisco", by Saunders and Miller.
>
> Any help?

Dear Anton:

Not sure if Cathcart used the same band, however in the movie Pete
Kelly's Blues, 1955, also starring Jack Webb, this was the band for
"Pete Kelly and his Big Seven", an 8 piece band. Without Miller, it
would match your 7 piece instrumentation.

Dick Cathcart Tp;  Moe Schneider Tb; Matty Matlock Cl;  Eddie Miller T
Sax; Ray Sherman, Pno; George Van Eps, Gui; Jud DeNaut, dbl bs;  Nick
Fatool dms:

Only a guess and I suppose oz-mate Bill Haesler will be able to
provide the accurate casting. <grin>

The above group was swinging mightily as I remember the movie on its
original run. Pete Kelly's Blues also starred Peggy Lee and Janet
Leigh.  Also, Ella Fitzgerald. had a short cameo. My, was that 53
years ago? Seems like yesterday.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband