[Dixielandjazz] Come in and Hear The Truth

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 29 17:46:40 PST 2008

On Nov 29, 2008, at 5:02 PM, Marek Boym wrote:

> Funny thing,  using a west coast Manone quote for a title of a book
> about the 52nd St. in New York!  He is reputed to have put a sign
> "Come in and Hear the Truth" on the club where he was playing after
> the one on the other side of the street hired a bebop band.

Dear Marek:

Who knows, maybe he first used that quote and sign in NYC. He was a
headliner on 52nd Street for many years before who moved to the bright
lights of Hollywood and L.A., becoming  a sort of lap dog for Bing
Crosby. I think he used that billing on lots of his appearances. They
appeared together frequently in Las Vegas in the 1950s and on Bing's
radio show.

As you know, "the truth" in jazz is a common saying among New Orleans
Jazz musicians, which describes New Orleans Jazz as played by the old
masters.

For those who haven't read it, Manone's autobiography, "Trumpet On The
Wing" is a very funny book.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband