[Dixielandjazz] Band Branding or Finding Differentiation.

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 19 06:36:51 PST 2008

 From the ISound Blog. Perhaps the most important question any
"working" band leader faces is "How do I differentiate my band from
all the others in my genre?" Like, we have many bands on the Left
Coast that play a West Coast Revival style. Are they different from
each other?  Should they be different?

Why was Condon so successful during a time that Dixieland was passing
from musical favor and other Dixielanders were leaving for greener
pastures?

While the below article is about a Rock band differentiating itself,
the example is easily transferable to any genre.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband

Sunday, November 16th, 2008
Marketing Music: Your Band Brand
By: Peter Risman Pilot MarketingStrategy Peter at PilotMarketingStrategy

Installment 1 – Your Band Brand Everyone has a personal brand –their
own unique identity.  Everything about you is included in your
personal brand: what you look like; how you speak; how you dress; the
car you drive; the books you read – the list is endless. You have a
personal brand, whether you want one or not. Whether you are
intentional about it or not. Everyone who comes in contact with you
also interacts with your brand.  Your personal brand often precedes
you. People begin forming impressions about you based upon the visual
aspects of your personal brand, well before you even open your mouth
to speak. Think I’m kidding? When was the last time someone who was
significantly better looking, better dressed, in better shape,
smarter,and more talented agreed to go on a date with you?  All
right,then.  Every band has a brand – its own unique identity.  The
same rules that apply to individuals apply to bands as well.
Everything about your band is part of its brand: what each of you look
like; how you dress; the instruments you use, the music that you play
– the list is endless. Your band has a brand, whether you want one or
not. Whether you are intentional about creating it or not. Everyone
who comes in contact with your band also interacts with its brand.
What’s all this marketing mumbo-jumbo have to do with rock and roll

The classic example of a rock band being intentional about defining
its brand isthe story of Vincent Furnier and his band Nazz. In the
late Sixties, Nazz was a struggling Los Angeles band, unable to catch
abreak. Living with Pink Floyd, playing on the same bill as the Doors.
A solid rock band in a city filled with solid rock bands, and going
nowhere fast. Then they got intentional about creating their brand.“…
There was that moment of saying: ‘We’re frustrated. We better do
something that’s going to get us a lot of attention.’ That’s when
Alice was created. That’s when I said ‘Let’s create this character
that every parent in the world is gonna hate.’ The audience was going
to go with whatever their parents hated...” (Terry Gross interview
with Alice Cooper) I said, "I can create this Alice character to be
the greatest rock villain of all time." (Andrew Denton interview with
Alice Cooper)  Alice Cooper was the direct result of a decision to be
intentional about creating a brand that was groundbreaking, andat the
same time coolly calculated. If every rock band in the world was
playing Peter Pan, Vincent Furnier was going to play Captain Hook.
(AndrewDenton interview with Alice Cooper)  And the rest,as they say,
is history.   if your band doesn’t define its brand, your audience
will define it for you…  …And probably get it wrong.