[Dixielandjazz] Arthur Pryor

Anton Crouch anton.crouch at optusnet.com.au
Tue Nov 18 16:49:14 PST 2008

Hello all

Bill Haesler wrote (in part):

> Now to dig out my Arthur Pryor records and re-listen to his trombone
> playing.

Ah, now that would be something to see - Bill searching his hoard of
Arthur Pryor records  :-)

Listmates can find examples of Pryor's work via the Archeophone CD 5008,
"Echoes from Ashbury Park". All 25 tracks can be sampled on
Archeophone's website.

Pryor's band was less exuberant than Sousa's and I find it a bit dull -
very much a concert band, with little or no swing.

The matter of trombone styles at that time is very interesting, however.
What is the link (if any) between the trombone "smears" of the military
and concert bands, and the "tailgate" style?

All the best,
Anton