[Dixielandjazz] Arthur Pryor (was Kid Ory's Muscrat Ramble)

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Mon Nov 17 13:07:47 PST 2008

tubaman at tubatoast.com asked:
> One thing I have been trying to find out about Pryor: several books
> I have read say emphatically that he was African-American, but there
> is not much supporting evidence of that from other sources. He
> certainly wrote a lot of Ragtime songs (and a few "Coon Songs") but
> that does not prove anything...
> Anybody have any info either way?

Dear Dave,
That fine ragtime authority David A Jasen, in his excellent book
'Recorded Ragtime 1897-1958' (1973. Archon Books by Shoe String
Press), differentiates between the ragtime composers in the book's
biographical section using (n) and (w).
Arthur Pryor  [70-9-22 - 42.6.18] is a definite (w) as the article in
the link you gave
    http://www.paragonragtime.com/pryor.html
implies.
As the several photographs in books and on the web indicate.
Now to dig out my Arthur Pryor records and re-listen to his trombone
playing.
Kind regards,
Bill.