[Dixielandjazz] More on Eph Resnick and other lesser known musicians

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 16 18:08:01 PST 2008

On Nov 16, 2008, at 6:15 PM, Marek Boym wrote:

>> were in the
>> swing tradition that one usually finds at Eddie Condon's.
>> (Quote from NYT article in 1984)
>
> Fancy That!  Calling Condon "swing!"  Wow!
> Swinging like mad - yes, but "swing," not "Dixieland?"

I think the writer was trying to make a subtle distinction between
"Vintage Jazz" which he probably felt was that of the 1920s/30s (or
what we call "Trad" jazz today), vs. the music at Condon's which as
you say was"Swinging like mad", and is very different from what most,
especially the purists, in the USA would call Vintage Jazz. It was my
impression from the article that the entire 10 band concert was what
Condon would have called "music" rather than the "Vintage Jazz" under
which it was billed.  Unless the "vintage" was circa 1960 NYC/Kansas
City Style.

IMO, taken in context, the entire paragraph is slightly snide, given
the last sentence: "The program, organized by the trumpeter Dick
Sudhalter, was a series of jam sessions by groups of 8 to 10
musicians, almost all of whom were in the swing tradition that one
usually finds at Eddie Condon's. In this sense, the evening was a very
limited view of 'vintage jazz.' "

> Eph Resnick was with Bob Greene in the original Music of Jelly Roll
> Morton band, and appeared therewith on that great RCA red label
> (important - it was a CLASSICAL, not a jazz label) LP.

Yes, and Eph was an all around jazz player. Circa 1960 he was on a
record with Kai Winding called something like "Kai Windings
Trombones", a group with at least 3 trombones which Winding fronted
after the Jay & Kay recording successes, and after Jay and Kai broke up.

Eph also worked in, dare we mention his name on the DJML <grin>, a
legendary Ernie Carson band along with Milt Hinton, Herbie Hall and
Danny Barker et al.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband