[Dixielandjazz] Event Insurance

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 16 09:56:57 PST 2008

Dear List mates (Especially band leaders in the USA)

A while back, we had a thread about venues that require special event
insurance for bands. Here is a lead for those who might run into this
situation.

Background is that I was approached for a gig (50th Wedding
Anniversary Party- 100 guests) to be held in a posh restaurant. The
venue would not bend on liability insurance with a certificate of
coverage for them. I told the prospective client that I did not have
insurance and therefore would pass on the gig.

Client then said; "Wait, hold the date, I'll get insurance information
for you and cover the cost." She did and below is the result. I
insured the trio (her "electricity" thought didn't matter) via her
suggestions for $500,000/$1,000,000 liability and they sent a
certificate of coverage to the vendor. Easy to do and you can check it
out by going to the site in her note.

As you can imagine, we were flattered that a client would go the extra
mile in order to book us.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

HI Steve,

Sorry I have taken so long to get back to you. If you are still
available, I would like to hire the trio for the Feb 14 gig as we have
discussed, for $1000. The venue does insist that you have liability
insurance and I have priced that out with a quick quote at NASEP  http://www.nasep.org/special-event-insurance.jsp
   , which came recommended to me. I think we can get by with insuring
just the two musicians who use electricity (not the clarinet) so the
cost would be $176.56. If not, the cost would be just over $200 (we
can go with the lowest liability price). Either way, I will cover that
cost, but I would need you to complete the contract on line as it
needs to be done by the vendor.