[Dixielandjazz] More Queens musicians - Ephie Resnick & Jack Sohmer

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 15 08:12:57 PST 2008

Got an off list note that trombonist Ephie Resnick lived in Queens
County in East Elmhurst, NYC and that Clarinetist Jack Somer also
lived in Queens for a while. No doubt there are more.

I think Ephie is the trombonist shown in the Bob Wilber Bix Project
videos that were posted a while back. See http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x18icc_bix-project-bob-wilber_music

Surf that site for more including Davenport Blues, Goose Pimples,
Since My Best Girl Turned Me Down, etc. They were from a 1975 concert.
Leader Bob Wilber transcribed the individual parts from the original
Bix recordings. Personnel are:

Bob Wilber; Clarinet, leader.
Kenny Davern; Bass Sax
Warren Vache Jr; Cornet
Dick Sudhalter; Cornet
Ephie Resnick; Trombone
Dick Wellstood; Piano
Chauncy Moorehouse; Drums
Marty Grosz; Banjo

Hell of a band. Chauncy Moorehouse who was also on the 1927 Bix
recordings said this band was better.

These re creations are superb. IMHO, today's bands that try and
emulate Bix band performances do not come close to what this band
achieved. Then again, as individual players, these gentlemen are all
top tier.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband