[Dixielandjazz] Dukes' personnel

Don Ingle dingle at nomadinter.net
Fri Nov 14 11:34:56 PST 2008

Funny how one subject leads to another. we start with the Dukes.
When I joined the Ted Weems band in the '50's, there was a fine trombone
player on the band at the time. He was one of a pair of identical twins. The
brother played clarinet and was for a time with the Dukes. The last name was
Cooper -- but cannot recall the first name. I think it must be on some bio
for the past Duke sidemen.
At the time I joined Weems, the drummer was Jake Hanna. He left the band
shortly after, but was a wonderful player -- and still is.  Ah, those days
of one nighters. Paying your dues came with mileage totals to be
disbelieved. A small point of trivia - I had grown up from '31 to '41 as a
band brat with the Weems band, which my dad was with in that span. So I
became a second generation to make a tour of duty with Ted.  It was long
jumps and doing you own laundry in a motel bathroom sink, but I would say in
retrospect that I wouldn't have missed it.
When Jean and I got married it was when the band had a month long stay at
the old Roosevelt Hotel in New Orleans. She came down from Michigan, we got
married in the Episcopal Church on Canal Street across from the Vieux Carre,
and ...are you ready...Ted Weems gave the bride away as a proxy for her dad.
The 21st. of this month we celebrate our 54th. anniversary. A true "roadie",
she has kept my life on a stable course. We are linked by music, cemented by
a little N.O. gumbo, and were toasted with a few Ramos gin fizzes at the
time.
It just never ends. these links in OKOM!
By the way, a new hotel group has begun to rennovate and re-open the old
Roosevelt Hotel - as the Roosevelt, even to  the Blue Room. A lot of big
band history was made on that stand. Let's hope we see some of it again.
Don Ingle