[Dixielandjazz] Jazz Musicians in Queens - was Good unknown musicians - Why?

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 13 18:33:17 PST 2008

Dear Bill:

You are welcome. Queens County, part of NYC,  was a treasure trove of
jazz musicians some famous and some not so famous. From about 1920 on
to present day. Other jazz and american songbook musicians, not
mentioned on the site, who lived in Queens include:

Ben Bernie, Lorenz Hart, Carol Sudhalter, Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis,
Russell Jaquet, Earl Bostic, Wild Bill Davis, James "Osie" Johnson,
Cecil Taylor, Lester Young, Cootie Williams, Oliver Nelson, plus many
others, not so famous.

Well known OKOMers like Kenny Davern also lived in Queens. He
graduated from Newtown High School in Queens.  And, perhaps lesser
known,  clarinetist Hank D'Amico, a neighbor in Flushing and mentor of
mine, who recorded with Red Norvo, Mildred Bailey and Louis Armstrong
as well as free lancing with his own group. He was also a studio
musician. And Jack Fay, a wonderful man and bass player at Nick's,
with whom I gigged a few times, lived in Bayside, Queens. Sometimes on
the way home from gigs, we'd hear Symphony Sid on the radio playing
some great jazz and so we'd just continue driving around and
listening. Jack played, and recorded OKOM at Nick's, mainly in a Phil
Napoleon fronted band with Billy Maxted, Phil Olivella (clt), Andy
Russo (tb), and Tony Spargo (Sbarbaro of ODJB fame). If you have their
record, you can hear Spargo on kazoo. (Phil Napoleon "Live at Nick's"
songs are air checks,circa 1949, now on CD circa 1999.) And Sam Spear
who led one of the bands on the Jackie Gleason show lived and had his
music store in Flushing. I bought my first expensive clarinet (a
Buffet) from him. It cost $420 in 1950. Tom Fischer in New Orleans now
plays it. He inherited it when my fingers became too big to properly
play it. I switched to a Selmer 10G wide bore and my Buffet replaced
his clarinet which was stolen shortly after Katrina devastated N.O.

You can see Tom playing it with Jonathan Russell, Buckey Pizzarelli,
Mark Shane, Chuck Redd, et al, in 2007 at:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-Yu5nhkv_w

Who was the first jazzer in Queens? Probably Jimmy Durante, who lived
in Flushing for a year or so back in the days when he fronted a
Dixieland Band. Sometime around 1919 or 1920. As kids, we used to
point out the house he had rented, a few blocks from where I grew up.

Bix holds a special memory for me, since I had a six month steady
Dixieland gig at a joint called the Melody Lounge in Sunnyside, Queens
back in 1958. Just a block or two from where Bix died. The band room
downstairs, was an old speakeasy. Last time I looked, the joint was an
appliance store.

Lots of "show business" people were around Queens when Davern and I
grew up there.  From Ziegfeld Follies retirees, to Zelda the snake
woman in the Ringling Bros Circus. I predate Davern by a couple of
years but we grew up together at "Nicks" and other joints. Me mostly
listening, and him mostly playing. I remember the cutting sessions in
various lofts, and always being cut by him. But I kept coming back for
more "lessons". Even after my wife to be said; "Steve, he is much
better than you."  When I told Kenny about that, he laughed and said;
"Steve. marry her, she is honest."  I did, and we are still married.

Great days. Too bad you can't go home again.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband