[Dixielandjazz] Good unknown musicians - Why?

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 13 10:55:29 PST 2008

On Nov 13, 2008, at 1:27 PM, Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis
wrote:

> In the last 50 years I have observed many fine musicians come and
> go. Personally, I have seen musicians who were far more talented
> than I just sort of go away or never do much. Talent is necessary
> but I think of it sort of like the ante in a poker game.  You have
> to have it but unless everyone else has a really bad hand you won't
> win.
>
> There are a vast number of really good players out there but just
> why are they generally unknown and why do they just sort of go away?
>
> I don't believe that raw talent buys a whole lot with some
> exceptions of course.  There is always the person who rises and
> becomes famous almost miraculously.  There is still the Hollywood
> myth that you can get discovered in a drug store.   It may have
> happened once but for almost everyone else it takes more.
>
> If you look at the top stars you will find that they are almost all
> multi talented in some way.  A good example is Gene Autry.  He could
> act, sing, play guitar but most important of all he was an
> incredible businessman who ended up owning half of L.A.  Another
> factor was just plain hard work. Autry did two shows a day, seven
> days a week, for 65 to 85 days at a stretch and that was in addition
> to all the other things he was doing.
>
> These people also put themselves in the right place at the right
> time to be "discovered".  This requires shameless self promotion.  I
> follow the six foot rule:  Everyone within six feet of you should
> know who you are and what you do.
>
> Learn to write glowing advertising copy about yourself in the third
> person. If you want to know how to do that just read the back of
> some of those old 33 rpm record albums.  Most of those were written
> by the guys on the album and not some third person who loved the
> band.  Too modest to blow your own horn?  That means you won't be
> blowing it long.  Remember that there's a pretty good chance that
> the civilians out there think you are something special and you
> are.  You get to go places and do things that they don't get to do.
> On the other hand if you try to be terminally cool and over do it
> you can turn people off.
>
> You may not play as well as others out there and you may not aspire
> to the big time but like beauty it's all in the eye of the
> beholder.  No matter who you are, there are some things that can
> improve your gigging and keep you in the business.  A lot of them
> have nothing to do with music for example your personal grooming.
> Is your tux rumpled or getting seedy.  Is your haircut current?  How
> about your shoes, are they shined?
>
> It can be as simple as smiling at someone.  I have sort of a scowl.
> Age tends to do that.  I have to make sure that I am smiling at my
> audience or the people I do business with.  I have actually had
> people come up to me on gigs and wonder if there was something wrong
> or if I was bored.  You can't see yourself and you just can't ignore
> [...]

I agree. But besides having talent and a good act,  you have to employ
a good agent who will do the promotion and booking. <grin>

For an interesting look at what jazz used to pay, to musicians who
employed good agents, (no starving artists they) see:

http://www.forgotten-ny.com/STREET%20SCENES/jazztour/queensjazz.html

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband