[Dixielandjazz] Funding for the Arts

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 12 16:20:35 PST 2008

 From the Cornell University Student Newspaper:  (Excerpted to remove
most of the political statements contained therein) I hope the
President elect's interest in the Arts doesn't fall by the wayside
given the current financial climate. I for one, was unaware of Obama's
interest in arts education and was pleased to learn about it.

Cheers,

Steve Barbone

www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband

 From The Cornell Daily Sun - Nov 12, 2008 - by Julia Woodward

A slew of unfunded mandates, handed down by the presidential
administration . . . , has put financial burdens on a lot of public
high schools that were doing just fine, not so long ago. My own high
school comes to mind, as budget woes wracked the school my senior
year .  .  . The first things to suffer? Music and sports. An entire
music position was cut, and the teachers remaining . . . had to take
on extra work.

This, as always, is a tricky situation. If you have to cut something,
do you cut the programs like music and sports, which provide culture,
creativity and outlets for those gifted in ways other than
academically? Or do you slash academics, and risk the quality of your
traditional education and college admissions? (Please note that I
believe music and sports, and the arts in general, are an integral
part of a truly quality education).

But, clichéd as it is to say, there is hope. President-elect Barack
Obama, the first African-American to be elected president, was also
the first president elected with a national arts policy committee (a
33-person committee, including a Pulitzer Prize-winning novelist and
the founder of the American Film Institute). In fact, he is the only
presidential candidate, victorious or not, ever to have created such a
thing.  .  .  .

Obama’s policy on the arts and art education .  .  . calls for federal
funding of the arts, programs to assist the arts in schools and an
overhaul of the No Child Left Behind Act, which has been the main
culprit for unfunded mandates and, thus, the slashing of the arts in
schools. His program ideas include the creation of an “Artists Corps,”
similar to the Teach for America program, which trains young artists
to work in low-income schools. He has proposed to increase resources
for the U.S. Department of Education’s arts programs, and plans to
increase funding to the National Education Association .  .  .and has
suggested the need for “cultural diplomacy,” using art and artists
overseas as ambassadors to show the world what America values.

Sounds pretty damn good to me.  .  . And for the arts across the
country.