[Dixielandjazz] Yma Sumac Obit

David Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Mon Nov 3 20:54:11 PST 2008

Yma Sumac had a real "thing" going on with the young wannabe Hipsters
in the San Francisco area - I had many requests for her songs during
my radio show in the last 10 years.

on a slightly different theme - I went to a show in Palo Alto
yesterday featuring a group of young musicians from Southern Italy and
Serbia - some really great traditional Balkan Brass/Gypsy Jazz, with a
touch of Rock-a-billy string bass played by a rising superstar -
Djordje Stijepovic has an amazing technique on the Doghouse - he slaps
and plucks faster than Slam Stewart ever did, and for some songs he
used a modified tiny cymbal "shaker stick" to pluck the strings while
shaking a rhythm! The group was a combination of a California band
called "Fishtank Ensemble" and the Italian band "Opa Cupa" - not what
we might call OKOM at all, but as the world of music gets more and
more closely connected (via the Internet) I think the brass skills of
southern Europe will be producing more stellar musicians of note!

http://www.fishtankensemble.com
http://www.myspace.com/opacupa

Dave Richoux