[Dixielandjazz] Jazz.com./encyclopedia of jazz musicians

Stan McDonald stanmm at comcast.net
Fri May 30 22:59:43 PDT 2008

Encyclopedia of Jazz Musicans.

Dear Editors:

I have recently discovered Jazz.com through friend Peter Gerler, who is writing a book on King Oliver. I tentatively ask your consideration for inclusion in your Encyclopedia. I have been an active  traditional jazz musician for 50 years; reasonably well-known since at least 1971, when I was a founding member of the New Black Eagle Jazz Band. I left them in 1981, to form my Blue Horizon Jazz Band after traveling to major jazz festivals in the US and Europe and being featured on dozens of their recordings, including one nominated for an Emmy ("On The River",  St. Louis, 1973). Since then I have released several recordings on the Blue Horizon label; LP and CD's: www.bluehorizonjazzband.com.

I note that Dick Wetmore (cornet, violin), who played and recorded on my band's first album is included in the Encyclopedia, while Tommy Benford (drummer for Jellly Roll Morton and Sidney Bechet) -- on the same album and a CD with me -- is not. I'm astounded that you omit Bechet, while giving fullsome treatment to Louis Armstrong, with whom I was personally acquainted. Other seminal musicians with whom I've played -- including Sammy Price, Benny Waters and Doc Cheatham -- are also omitted, though deceased. I have unreleased recordings with Sammy Price from the 1980's and I fronted the "Black Eagles" with the latter two on several occasions in the 1970's.

I understand that your focus is on currently active players, but that you also aspire to include those who have made an historical contribution -- if only for their influences upon the latest crop, which seem to me to be largely dessicated and rootless, though I confess I do not attempt to follow trends, and have hardly heard of the majority of these young players; no more than they are likely to have heard of me. Where to draw the line is your challenge and decision, but I do think it needs to be more clearly defined.

In 1985, I was designated among the top five soprano sax players internationally, in a poll conducted by the Mississippi Rag. I was also their headline feature in the Feb. 2003 issue. Others in that poll and a later one included Bob Wilber and Kenny Davern, although they are also absent from the Encyclopedia, along with such illustrious, and more "modern" sax players such as Jerry Bergonzi, Steve Lacy, and Scott Hamilton -- the latter having been a guest with me at my regular gig: www.Sherborninn.com.

Interesting that you include my high-school contemporary, Dick Sudhalter, while omitting his recording compatriot, guitarist Marty Grotz, who has also been our guest at the Sherborn Inn. Also among  the missing is probably the greatest stride pianist in history, Ralph Sutton, who was with me there for several annual appearances until 1998, with Buzzy Drootin and Jack Lesberg. Where will people turn to learn about these giants?  Only last night, Neville Dickie, from England -- compatriot of Ralph Sutton and stellar pianists Dick Wellstood, Dick Hyman and Ross Petot --brought the house down as soloist with my group at the Sherborn Inn.  None of the above exist on jazz.com.

Wikedpia and Myspace, have some information on me, but I would ask that you check my website: www.bluehorizonjazzband.com, and or Google my name and ask me for more information, should you decide to include me. Truthfully, I would gladly demur from inclusion in an encyclopedia that seems largely to exclude classic jazz musicians, so the more important distinction might be for me to remain unlisted, as some of the great jazzmen I have cited. In only a random search, I note that Ruby Braff (recently deceased) and Dave McKenna (incapacitated) are also among the missing. I played with Dave a few times. Maybe your interest group would benefit from more expansive inclusion. A daunting task, indeed!

I look forward to your reaction; not particularly on my own behalf, but for the sake of all musicians dedicated to keeping "our" art form alive -- in whatever style or substance. I apologize if this is prematurely critical, as I am just beginning to explore your site -- and will continue to do so.

With all good wishes for a comprehensive definition of "jazz", its progenitors and perpetuators, for inclusion in your encyclopedia. It is surely an auspicious beginning.

Stan McDonald