[Dixielandjazz] Campbell Burnap RIP

Phil O'Rourke philor at webone.com.au
Fri May 30 16:31:35 PDT 2008

Subject: [Dixielandjazz] Campbell Burnap RIP

Last December I finished mastering a CD of Geoff Bull's Olympia Jazz Band
(Australian) from two late 1964 recordings. The band was Geoff on cnt & vcl,
Campbell, tbn & vcl, Peter Neubauer, clt, listmate Adrian Ford pno, Geoff
Holden bjo, Richard Edser bass, and Dick Gillespie dms.
I had been holding Campbell's copy of the CD waiting for his Australian trip
which was supposed to be last month. I heard he was ill and the trip was
postponed.
Cambell recorded with other bands when he was in Australia and New Zealand
during 1964/5.
Campbell played a nice "New Orleans" styled trombone as well as his other
styles of playing and his radio work. A real all-rounder.
He will be missed by many.

Phil O'Rourke
Australia

I heard from Mike Pointon this morning of the unexpected and tragic
death of Campbell Burnap, following a short illness.

I had a long association with Campbell, which more or less started with
the Legends of American Dixieland Tour in 1989, with Wild Bill Davison
and Art Hodes. Campbell was featured on most of the dates on what became
the last tour both the American octogenarians.