[Dixielandjazz] DVDs playable in different countries

Thompson res0a3qw at verizon.net
Wed May 21 16:48:22 PDT 2008

>>I am aware there are differences in video systems between the United
>States and the UK and/or Europe.  Does this carry over into DVD's?  Can
>a DVD burned on a US  video recorder or computer be played on a UK
>player or computer and vice versa?  Can US commercial DVD's be played in
>the UK?  Is there conversion software for such differences?
>
>Don Robertson

I ordered a DVD of a series I had seen many years ago that was produced in Australia.  I was so happy to find the DVDs.  I ordered them and then, and ONLY THEN, I found out it was in the PAL format.  The only way to view them was via computer.  SO I BOUGHT a DVD player that will play PAL DVDs.  Perhaps there was a work-around, but after spending $50 on the series, the small price for the player was worth it to me.... NOW if ever there is another DVD available ONLY in PAL format, I am set!!!

Rebecca Thompson
Flower Mound, TX
(Currently in Sacramento)