[Dixielandjazz] SPecific to Chris Tyle, but to anyone

jazzchops at isp.com jazzchops at isp.com
Tue May 27 02:29:01 PDT 2008

The Sweet Lorraine question has been sufficiently answered in some other
posts.

The MHS played as a trio or quartet for several years. I joined on drums
in January 1989 when I first moved to New Orleans. Scott Black was on
cornet. Before I joined Hal Smith was on drums, with Scott and Jacques
Gauthe' on reeds. Later on Jacques and Scott left and I moved over to
cornet, and Hal back to the drums.

I just recently worked with Steve after many years and he is, indeed a
fine musician. He also played with my Silver Leaf Jazz Band for many
years.

Secret to a pianist working without a full rhythm section is using the
left hand like Jelly Roll Morton, or Fats Waller, or James P. Johnson, et.
al. None of this one chord and then a bunch of tinkly-dinkly with the
right hand. That may be perfectly fine in a bebop context but it ain't
right in traditional jazz, IMHO.

Steve H., thanks for the kind words about that CD. Unfortunately I believe
it's out of print now...

Regards,
Chris Tyle

>look for Steve Pistorius and the Mahogany Hall Stompers...great stuff!
>the entire rhythm section is Steve and Hal Smith.  And you'd never notice
if >you didn't know.  Amazing playing!

>But, Chris....since you were on it...not to say your playing wasn't
amazing, >but c'mon--it took major cajones for Steve to be the only bass
and chord >instrument, and he did it amazingly....but, what's the deal
with Track 2?  >Everything I've seen, including the CD card, says it's
"Sweet Lorraine", but >it's not any "Sweet Lorraine" that I've ever
heard.