[Dixielandjazz] King Oliver

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Mon May 26 20:37:13 PDT 2008

ROBERT R. CALDER concluded in his fine summary of the later Oliver
bands as follows:
> I'm sure Russell had a great deal to do with the 1926 and immediately
> subsequent Oliver bands coming into their own, and establishing a
> model to be followed, built on, emulated.

Dear Robert,
I wholeheartedly agree.

> I might speculate on whether Dave Nelson had the musical background
> needed to organise later Oliver bands to deliver or develop ideas
> provided by Oliver, or approved by Oliver, but there's surely a strong
> case for granting Luis Russell crucial importance, indeed treating the
> trajectory of his musical development as in some respects continuous
> with Oliver's.

Mmmmmmmmm. I doubt that Chris Hillman and his research colleagues Roy
Middleton and Richard Rains would agree. Refer to their historical and
discographal research essay, 'Dave Nelson and Others' (2005. Cygnet
Productions).
Dave Nelson arrived in Chicago from Louisiana in 1925 and may have
worked at some time with his uncle, Joe Oliver, before moving to New
York in mid-1929. On his arrival Nelson worked with the Luis Russell
band.
Oliver did not have a band and, according to Chris and his mates, "lost
little time recruiting his nephew to get one together for him and
provide him with tunes and arrangements; both to enable him to fill his
engagements and to carry out his recording commitments to Victor - for
which he also employed several of [Charlie] Skeete's musicians. The
result of the latter was a series of fine sessions which show Nelson's
arranging talents to the full as well as providing him with the
opportunity to prove that, under controlled conditions, he was a
perfectly adequate trumpet soloist and leader of a band." This is also
confirmed on page 119 of Laurie Wright's bio/discography, 'King Oliver'.
Kind regards,
Bill.