[Dixielandjazz] King Oliver

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Mon May 26 15:50:13 PDT 2008

Dear Mattais and Ken,
Based on information contained in the definitive bio-discography, 'King
Oliver' by my mate Laurie Wright, Lillian Hardin[g]-Johnson-Armstrong
was responsible for most of the  King Oliver Creole Band arrangements
of Oliver compositions lodged for copyright with the Library of
Congress.
"Sweet Like This" was an Oliver and Dave Nelson composition, but no
credit for the arrangement is given. I would assume Oliver/Nelson.
Perusal of documentation for this later Oliver period reveals
arrangements by Luis Russell, Brewster-Raph, Jack Calman, King Oliver,
Mel Stizel (for "Snag It"), Donald Redman & Elmer Schoebel (for
Henderson's "Sugarfoot Stomp" in 1925)' and Alvin Robertson ("Zulu's
Ball").
So far as the Meyers-Schoebel composition "Too Bad" is concerned, it
was certainly a 'stock' as an almost identical (less hot) version
recorded by Abe Lyman's orch predates the Oliver by 5 weeks. I have had
the 78 since the late 40s, then LP and now CD. Unfortunately, it is not
yet on the Red Hot Jazz site.
"Wa Wa Wa" was composed by someone caller Schaefer. Based on the
hotness, style and Oliver's musical involvement I (an old
jazz-romantic) believe that it has to be a Joe Oliver 'arrangement'.
Particularly, as it was only ever recorded again (in that period) by
Gregoire Nakchounian and His Russian North Star Orchestra in Berlin in
April-May 1928, probably based on the Oliver recording.
Kind regards,
Bill

http://www.myspace.com/robbersdogsjazzband