[Dixielandjazz] DVD region code list

Andy.Ling at Quantel.Com Andy.Ling at Quantel.Com
Thu May 22 02:18:35 PDT 2008

Steve Hoog wrote on 21/05/2008 22:19:37:

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD_region_codes
>
> Wikipedia does have its moments!
>
> No, UK and US do not use the same region encryption.

You couldn't have read the wiki article you quote :-). No such thing
as region encryption. There is region encoding and a separate
encryption system called CSS.

> Someone
> mentioned copying a disc to your own format, won't work.  Most
> commercial DVDs are copy protected.  Even my PC will restrict the
> number of times I can play a disc from another region.  (usually 5,
> IIRC, I haven't tried lately)

Except there is loads of software (some free) that will let you
get round those restrictions. You've only got to look at the
masses of ripped DVDs on the bit torrents to see how easy it is.

> The whole region thing was set up to circumvent piracy,

No it wasn't. That's the CSS encryption.

> international shipping of discs (even by legal means), and to
> prevent a disc from being sold in an area before it was scheduled by
> the distributor.

Closer. It was supposed to allow phased release of films. So a
film and DVD could be released in one region at a different time
to others. Although most believe this was an excuse to hide the
real reason, which was to control the price. It's pretty pointless
these days, as most DVD players either are or can be set to
play any region disk.

> steve 'some things I do know a bit about' hoog

A little knowledge.......   :-)

Andy Ling

--

This e-mail is intended for the named addressees only. Its contents may be
privileged or confidential and should be treated as such. If you are not