[Dixielandjazz] $250,000 trombone

billsharp sharp-b at clearwire.net
Sun May 18 13:46:13 PDT 2008

I followed the quarter-million dollar trombone link to read about it's
owner Arthur Pryor, and read the following:

  "'In 1905, Mr. Pryor wrote his most famous song “The Whistler and his
Dog.” Mr. Pryor is known to have written about 300 musical numbers and
to have arranged hundreds of musical compositions. In 1909, Mr. Pryor
quit touring. About the same time, Mr. Pryor became conductor and
arranger for the Victor Talking Machine Co., which would become a part
of RCA in 1929."

I immediately wondered if it's a tale of a dog who runs away from home
because his master wouldn't quit that insane whistling.  The poor dog
kept thinking he was being called, every time his master whistled.  .
. finally just couldn't take it and ran off with another family whose
only vice was yodeling.  (There actually is a worse case scenario:
that would be yodeling accompanied by washboard playing.  Oh my god, I
probably just planted a seed . . . . .)

Actually, it reminded me of the fact that I had an uncle who was an
incredible whistler who would often whistle a solo onstage, in the same
fashion that any other instrumentalist would take a solo.  Are there
any of you jazzers out there today that are doing this, as a regular
part of your performance?  Like anything, if done well, it's very
effective.

Itzall BS (aka Bill Sharp)