[Dixielandjazz] Loudness! Been Used For Centuries

richard.flecknell at ntlworld.com richard.flecknell at ntlworld.com
Fri May 16 10:07:15 PDT 2008

Loudness (volume), Speed, Surprise, Discord, Dynamics, breaks, even speeeding up the tempo -
all valid devices for generating excitement - not teaching to suck eggs here - Beethoven, Debussy etc did it
- we all do it (at least try).
Some we know are better at it than others.

At the top of my head and no particular favourite order - and let's say volume rather than loudness

Sid Catlett - on the Parker /Gillespie tracks
Armstrong w Bechet 1940
Climax Rag/Milenburg Joys - George Lewis
Hotter Than That - Wild Bill rudi Blesh
Wa Wa Wa - King Oliver
Eureka Brass Band (forever unforfilled wish to hear live)
Dizzy - any solos with Parker
Roy Eldrige - 30s/40s
Red Allen - w George Lewis
Kid Thomas - Should I reveal w Ray Burke
Shag - Bechet 1932
Red Alen - Rhythmakers
Brownie live w Blakey

and so on and on

Oh - I do like the softer side as well - thats for another day.

S Barb-one (joke Steve) - you made a valid point in that instrumentalists especially wind have to play/practise at volume to get the correct sound.

The much derided ODJB did'nt exactly play within themselves either - by the way a wish of mine is for "Off The Record" team to issue the Aeolian sides with the splendid results thaey achieve w the Creole Band.

Chris - I see the point you were making using Morton as an example of controlled excitement - for my arguement I'll use some of the same musicians and go "Papa Dip" - does that swing along or what.

Richard "wish I could play like Red Allen" Flecknell

I thought of one more
Red Allen w Singleton - King Porter Stomp c1940

I can't stop now - when I was around 5-7yrs of age - my father took me to the town to hear the "Blues & Greys"
(Regimental Band) - I could hear them approaching from the corner of the street - when they came directly into sight I was hit by the enormous sound - marvelous.