[Dixielandjazz] arvo (was "New Melbourne Jazz Quartet")

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Wed May 14 15:07:18 PDT 2008

> Next Sunday arvo?  ...............but what does arvo mean?

Dear Ron,
Some, lesser educated, Australians frequently abbreviate common words
in conversation.
Some of us (like me mate Ross Ando) occasionally 'send this up' from
time-to-time.
	Arvo = afternoon.

 From The Australian National Dictionary Centre. 'Australian Words:
Meanings and Origins'.
"arvo". Afternoon, as in see you Saturday arvo. It is often used in the
phrase this arvo, which is sometimes shortened to sarvo: meet you after
the game, sarvo. Arvo is an example of a special feature of Australian
English, the habit of adding -o to an abbreviated word. Other such
words are bizzo ‘business’ and journo ‘journalist’.

 From the above definition Saturday may also be referred to as Satady or
Satdy.
As will be noted from my above reference to Ross, the use can be used
with certain surnames.
Kind regards,
Bill.