[Dixielandjazz] New Songs for Dixieland

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed May 14 06:06:07 PDT 2008

Bob Ringwald asked about recent songs that can be adapted to
Dixieland. Here are some ideas about songs that will appeal to younger
audiences. The most difficult audience to please IMO is the 50-60 year
olds which is why Beetles, Hello Dolly, Elvis, songs should be added
to this mix. And perhaps "Jeremiah Was A Bullfrog", which we played a
few time to that audience at private parties and they loved it.

Suggestions for young audience songs:

1) Written Recently: (Young kids love these) You can find more simply
by listening to the music that the
      YOUNG BANDS are playing. Vocals are important! This may take
some digging because many of us are
      not wired into the young scene. Get out and go clubbing with
them. For example:

   "Ode To Bitches",  "Teeth",  "Bury Me In The Pasture", Don't Go
Lookin For Lonesome"  By Sick's Pack
    http://www.myspace.com/wreckcreationmusic

2) Relevant Songs  (Could be written anytime, but Kids recognize them)

      Etta James songs e.g. "At Last"
      Diana Krall Songs  e.g. American Songbook
      Stevie Wonder Songs

      Checkout what's selling today and who the artists singing
adaptable music are.

For me, the key is RELEVANCE. Use songs they recognize (surprisingly,
they do recognize Saints, Muscrat Ramble, Hello Dolly, What A
Wonderful World and a whole host of songs we all know)

Etc.

I doubt anyone can tell anyone else exactly what or how, or which
songs. To figure it out, you need to get out among the young in your
territory and listen to what they find relevant. One way to find out
is what Igor suggested, ask them.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.barbonestreet.com