[Dixielandjazz] Wonderful low brass OKOM today in Sunnyvale, CA

David Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Sun May 11 22:26:56 PDT 2008

Hi all,

Today was a "Rent Party Day" for the South Bay Traditional Jazz
Society and there were a lot of great musicians helping out. By the
time the last set played all the reed and most of the trumpet players
had gone home, so what we had on stage were 3 bones (and a Euphonium)
and 3+ tubas (along with a drum set, banjo and piano.) Howard Miyata
switched between Euphonium and Helicon, Don Brayton also played that
Helicon, Jim O'Briant had a bell front tuba and I was on Sousaphone.
The bones were John Soulis, Brian Richardson, and Jon Schermer - all
of us play in a variety of local bands.

It was surprisingly musical! It reminded me a bit of some of those
1960s brass choir/jazz band recordings.

A trumpeter finally showed up to ruin the balance ;-)

(a partial list of performers is here: http://sbtjs.org/
mth405band.shtml#TOP )

Dave Richoux