[Dixielandjazz] Dixielandjazz Digest, Vol 65, Issue 14

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun May 11 08:26:22 PDT 2008

John Huntsberger wrote about volunteering to play at schools and then

> David Richoux <tubaman at tubatoast.com> wrote:
>
> For some strange reason, the high schools in Alameda have recently
> totally rejected the idea of our band playing (for free or
> otherwise!) Sometimes it was the music teacher, sometimes it was the
> administration. I guess we don't fit the curriculum or something...
> we did several similar programs about 10 years ago, for the same
> schools.

Barbone Street routinely does school programs and gets paid for it. We
cut them a break and play for $75 a man, one hour concerts. The PTA/
PTO (Parent Teacher Organization) pay for it if the schools have no
money in the budget. (Just did one last week at a Friends School)

Couple of Hints,

1) Screw the High Schools. Many of their music teachers suffer from
IAJE syndrome. (protect turf) Go to the elementary schools. Main thing
is too keep after them and not quit asking because some idiot once
said no. But dammit, at least cover your expenses. When you give music
away, people equate it as worthless.

2) Go light on explaining  jazz history to 5 year olds. RELATE the
MUSIC to them. Like show how jazz borrows from older music by showing
that "What a Wonderful World" is "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star", so no
wonder most people like it, etc. Children do not relate to Kid Ory or
ODJB and you haven't got time to explain it coherently to them.

I have a brief write-up on elementary school programs that have worked
for Barbone Street over the past 10 years and would be happy to share.
Write me off list if interested. Ignore my spam filter, just put
"school program" in the subject and it will come through.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.barbonestreet.com
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband

"I get satisfaction of three kinds. One is creating something, one is
being paid for it, and one is the feeling that I haven't just been
sitting on my ass all afternoon."

William F, Buckley