[Dixielandjazz] Question from Igor: Don Mopsick's reply

Tito Martino titomartino at gmail.com
Sat May 10 15:45:49 PDT 2008

mopo said:

< As far as playing more modern tunes, there are a myriad of other bands
that
do them better than we, so we leave it to them. Modern tunes do not suffer
from a lack of exposure that would be remedied by our playing them.
With so much treasure available to you with just a little bit of digging,
research and listening, why would you want to dilute and cheapen your
message with the dross of modern "entertainment?" The way I see it, we are
the inheritors of a daunting responsibility to the music and to future
generations of fans, and we wouldn't want to blow it. And, our fans seem to
be well-entertained with what we're giving them. Why settle for a Hostess
Twinkie washed down with a Big Red when you can have Chateaubriand and a
nice Merlot?>

Hi Don

your answer is perfect, I would sign under.
Occasionally, we in my Band play some "modern" tunes, and, why not, some
compositions of mine as "Blues for Today", "Washboard Stomps", "Lolo's
Strut",etc.
  all of them in the old traditional jazz idiom originated by a handful of
musical geniuses
unequaled till today.  Armstrong, Bechet, Morton. But as you say, we are
the inheritors of a daunting responsibility to the music and to future
generations of fans, and I ask  everyone please to note that if we play
correctly, we NEVER play a tune the same way two times. It's like Chess, the
rules stay the same for centuries, but a good player is still capable of
create a new combination.
And win the game.

Cheers

Tito Martino