[Dixielandjazz] Igor's Question

Chris Tyle jazzchops at isp.com
Fri May 9 09:24:09 PDT 2008

On last Saturday and Sunday nights I played drums on in a club on
Bourbon Street in New Orleans with a quartet led by clarinetist Orange
Kellin. We played mostly pop tunes and some ODJB tunes. The majority of
the audience were under-50. They didn't ask for any Beatles tunes or
anything written after WWII. As a matter of fact, the only requests were
from a women in her 30s that asked for Ray Noble's "I Wished on the
Moon" and Walter Donaldson's "Did I Remember." She had heard the Billie
Holiday versions and they were favorites of hers.

My opinion about getting more of a younger audience is simply the venues
where the music is presented. They are not going to go to festivals
unless they are swing dancers. Playing "modern" tunes is not going to
bring them to festivals (and those "modern" Beatles tunes are now 40-45
years old!) IMO, the 20-30 crowd isn't going to be anymore familiar with
"Yesterday" than they are "Yesterdays."

Playing bop tunes in trad style, while a nice way to extend the
repertoire, isn't going to bring in a younger audience, either. Younger
people are more likely to know "What a Wonderful World" than "Tin Tin Deo."

I think if festivals really wanted to bring younger people in, they need
to think about bringing in some of the younger bands that Steve Barbone
has mentioned, and also by doing some other type of event in conjunction
with the festival. Perhaps a day were local microbrews are featured.
Seems to me in wouldn't be difficult to get something like that going.
Festival promoters would be wise to check out events other than music
that draw a younger crowd.

Regards,
Chris Tyle