[Dixielandjazz] Question from Igor

PHIL WILKING philwilking at bellsouth.net
Thu May 8 20:50:25 PDT 2008

Some bands do play tunes from before the 1920's, but they change them
frequently. If a tune was ragtime (or a cakewalk), they tend to play it
somewhat more loosely than true ragtime. Many tunes from the "Gay 90's" were
waltz songs, and it is easier to talk your way out of an IRS audit than to
get some jazz bands to play a waltz. A few tunes from before 1885 to 1890
have lasted in jazz, but it too often happens now that the musicians younger
than 80 have never heard them.

As for post 1940's stuff, there is very little to work with. Too much of the
late 30's to early 40's big-band stuff is just 30 passes through the same 8
or 12 bar phrase. When rock and roll started to gain popularity, melody
began to be abandoned completely, and OKOM requires  requires at least SOME
melody somewhere. It has become so extreme that you can now ask someone
"What was that?," and he'll answer "XYZ, it  has a great beat!" You'll ask
"But where is the melody?," and get a blank look and a "Huhn!?" "You know,
the melody - the part you can hum or whistle?" "Huhn?"

As for playing new tunes for a new audience, of course it would help, but
you have to find a tune - a melody.

Phil Wilking

Those who would exchange freedom for
security deserve neither freedom nor security.