[Dixielandjazz] Dixielandjazz Digest, Vol 65, Issue 9

Stanley A. Klein sklein at cpcug.org
Thu May 8 07:14:16 PDT 2008

On Thu, May 8, 2008 9:09 am, Igor Glenn <igorsjazzcowboys at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Message: 1
> Date: Wed, 7 May 2008 15:45:29 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Igor Glenn <igorsjazzcowboys at yahoo.com>
> Subject: [Dixielandjazz] Question from Igor
> To: dixielandjazz at ml.islandnet.com

> I have a question for Steve Barbone, Don Mopstick, Jim Cullum, et. al.
> that I've never been able to answer.
>
>   Why do Trad Jazz bands play only tunes from the 1920's, 30's and 40's?
> When jazz began, it was very eclectic and drew from folk music to more
> complex forms.  Are there simply no tunes from prior to 1920 and after
> 1949 that have melodies, chord progressions, rhythm patterns and lyrics
> that make good Trad Jazz music?
>
>   Do you think if we played some of these tunes that we might attract
> wider audiences?
>
>   Sadly, I have to wonder if the "gatekeepers" of Trad Jazz really just
> want it to be like the 1930's & 1940's again.
>
>   What do you think?  What tunes would you suggest?
>
>   Please enlighten me -

Among the bands of the Potomac River Jazz Club, I know of some that have
played tunes not from the 20's, 30's and 40's.  Southern Comfort used to
do Little Red Wagon and several (including Southern Comfort) have done the
San Fransisco Bay Blues.  I think both were country-western.  They also
did Alice Blue Gown that I think was from earlier in the 20th century.

At least two others have done tunes written by members of the band but in
OKOM style.  Jimmy Riley of the Last Chance Jazz Band wrote several,
including one called Viva Viagara.  I think he even wrote a musical in
OKOM style, but I don't know if it was ever performed.  There was one tune
he wrote (I can't remember the name) in the style of the 1910's about
which I would kid him that he didn't actually write the tune but
transcribed it from an Edison Wax Cylinder recording he had found.

The Buck Creek Jazz Band also had several tunes written for the band or by
its members.  I can't think of names off the top of my head, but Beltway
Blues comes to mind.

Stan Klein