[Dixielandjazz] Trad feel.

M J (Mike) Logsdon mjl at ix.netcom.com
Thu May 8 05:16:03 PDT 2008

> As I said, Trad is a feel, and you lose it with a four-out-of-four bass.

Well, that all depends on how you define "trad".  But I hear your point.
  Today, of all things I was listening to some recent Ted Shafer CDs,
and every now and then I got the "swing" feel and realised I was tapping
into what you mean.  But you can't dismiss the 4-beat bass.  The classic
case-in-point would be Eddie Condon playing "Duff Campbell's Revenge" (a
tune he admits was hard to play!).  Written by a Left-coaster, played by
the consumate Chicagoan.  Perfect interplay.  And "trad" by any
standard.  (Though don't tell Eddie's ghost!)