[Dixielandjazz] Question from Igor

David Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Wed May 7 20:07:41 PDT 2008

Rick and all,

As I have only been playing Trad bass (tuba) since 1978 or so, and
grew up right in the height of the Rock and Roll/Baby Boom era I
don't know if I am fully qualified (or authorized) to respond ;-)

IMO there are songs that work well with a strong Two-Beat, there are
songs that work well with a strong 4 Beat, and there are many that
can go either way - if the dancers and listeners are responding well,
if the song feels "Right" to the musicians then I guess I don't care
if it is Trad, Swing, Jazz, Rock, Pop, or whatever! I have recently
had a chance to play some swinging 9/8 - it worked, and the dancers
were having a great time!

A "Strictly Trad" band as you define it would be kind of boring to me
- I have played in some, but the groups that I respond to better have
the freedom and skills to play a wider range - and I think that the
recorded evidence of the full spectrum of actual working bands of the
1920s thru late 1930s shows that "Two Beat Jazz" was  really a pretty
small part of what we call the Jazz Age.

I sometimes think Trad Jazz is somewhat like Polka Music - there is a
"huge" audience for traditional Polka - conventions, festivals, TV
shows - thousands of recordings, long careers for the musicians, die-
hard fans, dancers and listeners, traditionalists and revisionists;
but the average kid in the music store is probably not going to buy a
Polka record any quicker than he might buy a Trad (or any other kind
of) Jazz record.

Disclaimer - I actually like Polka music, traditional and
revisionist! I even play in some local polka bands from time to time...

Dave Richoux