[Dixielandjazz] Question from Igor

David Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Wed May 7 18:26:03 PDT 2008

I am in agreement with "K.C." and Igor - it seems like there has long
been a major faction in OKOM to keep song selection (and even
performance style) to a restricted range, and there also have been
many musicians and groups that have tried to incorporate a much wider
range of music and musical styles into what we have agreed to term OKOM.

The "WGJB" (Yank Lawson, Bob Haggart and others) was a leader in
adapting rock and pop tunes into OKOM style, also the Anachronic Jazz
Band adapted be-bop jazz into OKOM style, and there have been many
other examples. Many jazz band I know of have no fear of Ragtime or
even "Old-time" songs - Lu Watters and Turk Murphy often did them and
most "San Francisco Trad" bands continue in playing a wide variety of
songs.

The Beatles are a rich source of possibly good OKOM songs and there
are a few other "rock" bands songs that will work if you try - I
could see "Punk Rock OKOM" with a few songs by the Ramones and Green
Day easily fitting in - it might confuse some trad audiences! (But it
would be worth it.) i don't know if any OKOM group has recorded such
a collection yet - there are some somewhat synthesized (I think)
"Nutley Brass Band" playing Ramones and Misfits hits released on CD -
not great, but OK.

By the way, if you are going to Sacramento, please try to check out
the California Repercussions - we will be playing on Friday and
Saturday, and our song selection coves a HUGE range of styles - while
we don't play everything in OKOM format, it is a lot of fun!

Dave Richoux