[Dixielandjazz] Vince Giordano at Jeff Healey Tribute / bassist not Slam Stewart

Ric Giorgi ricgiorgi at sympatico.ca
Tue May 6 04:22:42 PDT 2008

Dear Listmates,

I want you all to know that I had the honour of meeting a
gentlemen's gentlemen this weekend in the person of Vince Giordano.

My band the Rainbow Gardens Jazz Orchestra was the opening group for
the Jeff Healey Tribute concert here in Toronto. Vince came up along
with Marty Grosz and Brad Kay because they had special connections
with Jeff. My band played at Gracie's Restaurant for 5 years when
Jeff was a teenager and he sometimes came in with his trumpet in a
Chivas Regal bag. Amazingly he knew almost all the recordings we
modeled our arrangements on so well that he needed almost no
coaching by our cornet player to perform the arrangements with us.

Vince did the opening set with us on Sunday May 4th and aside from
being a spectacular musician and performer, I've never met a more
down to earth, humble, people person virtuoso in my life. When we
finished playing our set, Vince insisted on helping me get my
equipment to my van because I had to get to another gig pronto. And
this despite my urging him to get back to the stage because I know
there were people wanting to talk to him and to get his autograph.

If you're in New York or are going and if you do nothing else, find
out where he is and go and hear him play. As a person and a
performer he's one of the greats.

Yours,

Ric Giorgi

PS - I once lent Slam Stewart my bass at a gig here in Canada about
1987 I think and the bassist in the picture in question is
definitely not Slam Stewart.

Ricardo Giorgi
Rainbow Gardens Music
Toronto ON