[Dixielandjazz] Ways to find other dixieland musicians?

Dan Augustine ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
Sat May 3 08:35:42 PDT 2008

     Excellent advice from Larry.
     But one of the easiest things to do is just to go to Google.com
and type in "Williamsport+dixieland" (without the double-quotation
marks)(this works for any city, of course).  You usually get a bunch
of hits, such as http://www.billtownlive.com/bands.htm where one
entry is " Alligator Alley (6-7 piece Dixieland Jazz Band) Contact:
Jack Fries  570-743-1090 E-mail jfries at ptd.net".
     By the way, i was in Williamsport a year ago doing some research
on my grandfather (Elmer Lincoln Schuyler), who played the Eb tuba in
Milton town band and was the editor of the local newspaper for 40
years (i didn't find much).  He may also have played in the local
town band, the Repasz Band (after which a march was named).  Such
local town bands are frequently good places to find other musicians
who would like to play some forms of jazz.  Also, just go to some
local nightspots that have music and talk to the folks in the bands.

     Dan

**  Dan Augustine  --  Austin, Texas  --  ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
**     "It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid
**      than to open it and remove all doubt."  --  Mark Twain