[Dixielandjazz] Ways to find other dixieland musicians?

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Fri May 2 22:49:20 PDT 2008

If there is a local jazz society you might try them.  Ours has a newsletter
and lists a lot of trad musicians.

We have a banjo club and you might have one around you somewhere.

Network as much as possible with the local musicians.  Just ask around.

Your problem is universal.  Not every musician can or wants to play this
music.  I did run into a young guy, about 25, at a music store yesterday
that was really enthusiastic about Trad so there may be some out there.  Use
the old salesman's six foot rule.  If anyone comes within six feet of you
they will leave knowing what you are about.  That's how I found this guy
yesterday while I was buying an amp.

You have to talk about what you want and what you do.  Let everyone you meet
know what it is you want.  You might get lucky.

Post some notes around.  Might work, you never know.

The other place might be a nearby university or junior college.  I
personally approach Trad as a classic music form with every bit of respect
that I would give to Bach or Mozart or a full size orchestra for that
matter.   With that approach you might be able to get some of the teachers
behind your project and who knows maybe they might like to give it a try.

You might approach the local music teachers at your schools.  They know
people so don't write them off.  Your church organist might know someone.

Do you have any ragtimer's around.  We have a Ragtime club here.  Might be a
good place to pick up a piano player.

Believe it or not Ginny (on the list) heard me playing a CD that I made of
the group as I was parking my car and asked me who the group was.  That's
how I got a Banjo player just standing on a parking lot.  Who says loud
music is a bad thing?  That was totally a random accident but if you aren't
doing things nothing will ever happen.

I met he guy that plays drums with us when I took an adult class in early
Jazz at the Jr. College.  Our female vocalist and I met on a gig.  She has a
master's in Gerontology and is the Senior coordinator for a nearby town.
She told me she did some pro singing and liked older music.

You just never know where or when you might find someone.  Talk it up.  Get
some business cards printed with Trad Musicians wanted - Try Vista Print for
some very cheap cards.  www.Vistaprint.com   Post them and hand them out to
whoever will hold still.
Good Luck
Larry