[Dixielandjazz] Re: Bud Freeman 100 years anniversary.

GORDON FANCY ENDEAVOURS at mac.com
Tue Mar 25 11:40:55 PDT 2008

	I got to know Bud Freeman quite well as he came to Toronto to play
at the Chicken Deli among other venues. He also played at the Chateau
Laurier in Ottawa. On one occasion he was playing in Toronto and
after the session my 12 year old daughter and I took him out for
supper on a Sunday. He said he wanted a Schmirnoff and after drinking
it we escorted him back to his hotel. He was playing at the Chateau
Laurier in Ottawa the next week and I arranged a business trip there
to hear him play. I was sitting at the bar when he was talking to the
audience and said he hadn't had a drink in years. I blurted out " You
had one sunday night ". He looked over at me and said " And the damn
thing gave me a hangover". When I used to drive him around Ottawa he
woulsd cradle his saxaphone in his lap lovingly. I understand that
the saxaphone he was using at the time was given to him by Eddie
Miller.  In his last years in a Chicago hospital he was looked after
by Lee Gibbs the daughter of Dick McPartland who was also a member of
the Windt City gang. Bud was a kind and generous individual and when
we would go out for a walk he would hand out money to beggars on the
street.