[Dixielandjazz] Goodbye, Mr. Hammond

pj.ladd pj.ladd at btinternet.com
Tue Mar 25 03:46:51 PDT 2008

 and charging more wouldn't have seemed right.>>

Hi Randy. I enjoyed your poetic piece but `an evenings music for the price
of a pitcher of beer"  and `charging more wouldn`t have seemed right`
explains perfectly why jazz joints are folding. You gotta make a profit.
Music is a business and you have to charge what the traffic will bear or the
music will stop. You cannot go on getting something on the cheap for ever

Its great when an afficionado owns a place and can afford to run it at a
loss. Marvellous.  We have had one such in Bath where I used to play. The
guy has supported jazz at various pubs which he owned ever since the war.
He would have a different band every night and he subsidised it. You have to
sell  a lot of extra drinks, ABOVE WHAT YOU WOULD NORMALLY SELL,  to pay a
band.. Even in the days when we were playing for peanuts the bossman would
need to sell perhaps 500 EXTRA pints to break even..He never charged extra
for the beer or put on a cover charge or even allowed a band collection.
Regularly the guys accountant would come in and say `this has to stop` and
he would sack a couple of bands. He would then rebook them  a few weeks
later.
Supporting jazz must have cost the guy thousands of pounds but that was his
hobby. Unfortunately that can`t go on for ever and in our case it has
finally  stopped.. Sad, perhaps if he had charged something it would still
be going.

Cheers

Pat.