[Dixielandjazz] John Lines

Randy Fendrick jfendrick at bak.rr.com
Mon Mar 24 15:37:29 PDT 2008

Many of you knew John Lines.  He was a avid OKOM fan and co-founder of
the Golden Empire Hot Jazz Society in Bakersfield, California.  He
passed away this morning in Mercy Hospital in Bakersfield.  Apparently
he had double pneumonia.  I believe he was close to 90.  It is amazing
to see  some the main stays who had continued to support the music we
love die off and not being replaced by younger folks so enjoy it while
you can.  There is an excellent article in the LA Times this morning
about the death of a jazz venue in southern California which kind of
tells it all.  Back to John, the funeral services are pending but
according to John's companion they will probably be Friday in
Bakersfield, I will post more when I hear.

later,

Randy Fendrick
Southside Chicago Seven
Bakersfield Symphony Orchestra, ret