[Dixielandjazz] Banners for Music Stands

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Mon Mar 24 10:45:39 PDT 2008

Try  www.embeeieas.com  Mike does some really nice work.  He has a new
printer that produces beautiful work.  He has the carrying bags, takes
charge cards and is fast.

If you don't want that you might try this.  I have made these for several
guys and they like them a lot.  I use corrugated  plastic. The same stuff
Mikes stands are made from.  I take a piece approximately 21" (a little
bigger than stand width) x 24" (or larger) .  A minimum of 12" on the stand
and 12 or more inches to be the front.

With the flutes running in the 21" direction  find the flutes at the 12"
mark.  Remove three of the flutes on the underside of the sign so it will
fold over the top of the stand.  You might want the sign front bigger than
21" wide x 12" high and that's not a problem it's up to you.  Bigger hangs
better.  You can cut a 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" hole right in the center where the
flutes are removed for a stand light if you wish.  The weight of the music,
a couple of clips or even a large rubber band (big enough to stretch around
the Manhasset desk ) to hold the sign on the stand.  The front flap may need
a little weight on it to hang right.  A couple of 1/8" steel rods run into
the flutes at the bottom of the sign should do the trick.  You can get 3'
pieces at a model shop.  If the sign front is bigger than 12" the weight
should make it hang straight down

Then you have the sign shop letter it for you.  Many can now print on vinyl
and they can apply that to the corrugated plastic.

These are super easy to carry around and use and fairly cheap to make.  I
would suggest 6mm corrugated but 4mm is OK (like real estate signs)

Stand banners can be made too but if you roll them up you will have to
contend with folds and wrinkles in the banner.  Another thing is wind.
Banners are like sailing the Santa Maria.  Whatever you hook them to will
tend to move.

I can get you some photos of the stand signs I have made but if you don't
let me know right away (today) it will be next week before I can take them.
I have a gig with one of the guys tonight (Monday) and I can get him to
bring them.

I think the Manhasset signs I make are a real good alternative to full
stands with logos.   I don't sell them publicly because that would be
competing with Mike and I would prefer to keep the friend.

If you want a larger banner then any sign shop should be able to do it for
you.  I suggest you give them any photos (JPG) in as high a resolution as
possible.  My equipment will blow up a 5 mega pixel photo to 2' x 3' without
any serious loss and does a great job on much less.  Just don't take them
some low resolution photo and expect much.

If you decide on a large banner remember to use bungee cords to tie it up.
You want it to flex in the wind or the corners will tear out.  There are
dozens of grades of banners out there but printed banners have a whole lot
fewer options and tend to have grommets in the corners and not sewn in
reinforced D rings.  Grommets are OK but in moderate winds if not suspended
correctly will fail if not reinforced.
Larry