[Dixielandjazz] Audientor or Audentior

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sat Mar 22 15:27:24 PDT 2008

Gerard Bielderman wrote:
> Yet I still don't know which title the composer originally meant!

Dear Gerard,
In the first instance I would naturally go with the original spelling
"Audentior March" as shown on the 1957 Johnny Bastable EP.
Secondly, our latin scholars Steve B and Robert C and newcomer Sep T
have given convincing arguments for this spelling.
Is the composer, trumpet player Derek Saunders still with us?
DJMLer Brian Harvey may know.
I see my dear mate Viv Carter (the drummer on the session) regularly.
He may also know.
Perhaps you could contact whoever it was at Lake who produced the new
Bilk CD (I have ordered, but not received my copy, so don't know who it
is) and ask why they altered the spelling.
I believe that original spellings for jazz compositions (even if wrong)
should never be unconditionally 'corrected' after the release of a
record.
As you know, "Milenberg Joys" is a good case in point.
Very kind regards,
Bill.