[Dixielandjazz] Clarinetist

J. D. Bryce brycejo at comcast.net
Sat Mar 22 11:10:00 PDT 2008

Mate Bekavac, the clarinetist on the video, appears to be a klezmer
musician.  He has excellent technique, but is definitely not a classical
clarinetist.  It is a very interesting video.  I've never heard the Carmen
Fantasy played on clarinet.  It's almost always done on violin, as Sarasate
was a 19th Century violin virtuoso, and noted composer of violin pieces.

Bekavac's clarinet doesn't appear to be a boehm horn.  Some of the
fingerings he used on the video looked most unusual. I plan to get more
information on him and I thank Steve for posting the video's address.

I had thought of trying the Carmen Fantasy on C melody sax, adapting the
violin part for the range of the horn.

J. D. Bryce