[Dixielandjazz] Happy 90th Birthday, Marion

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 22 07:03:14 PDT 2008

Congratulations on your 90th Marion. Thank you Jimmy for marrying
Marion and bringing her to the USA.  What I'd like to see is Marion
and Les Paul together. Go for it, old folks.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

March 21, 2008 - NY Times - By Nate Chinen
MARKING A MILESTONE WITH A LIGHT TOUCH

After settling into her station at the piano on Wednesday night at
Dizzy’s Club Coca-Cola, Marian McPartland took a stab at solidarity.
“Is anybody else here 90?” she asked, polling the crowded room.

There were no affirmative responses, so after a brief moment she moved
on. In this place, at this moment, she was unique in more ways than one.

Ms. McPartland was presiding over her own 90th-birthday party with
characteristic lightness and aplomb. While her gold lamé gown
underscored a sense of occasion, she made sure to dispense with
formality. “I guess I should say thank you to the Arthritis
Foundation,” she said, eliciting much laughter. She seemed pleased by
the piano-shaped cake that was eventually presented to her, but her
focus was chiefly on the music.

This should surprise no one who has heard “Piano Jazz,” the
entertaining and edifying show Ms. McPartland has had on public radio
for nearly 29 years. “Piano Jazz” features thoughtful conversation and
tandem playing by Ms. McPartland and her guests. The first set at
Dizzy’s conveyed a similar feeling, though there wasn’t room enough
for two pianos on the stage. So the only pianist to sit in was Jason
Moran, who offered a warm and knowing solo rendition of “Time and Time
Again,” one of Ms. McPartland’s compositions. The other musical guests
fell in with Ms. McPartland and her longstanding trio, featuring Gary
Mazzaroppi on bass and Glenn Davis on drums.

Jeremy Pelt, playing fluegelhorn, brought an easy grace to the
songbook standard “Moonlight in Vermont.” Regina Carter imbued her
violin with a hauntingly vocal quality on an exquisite reading of
“Come Sunday,” the Duke Ellington hymn. Karrin Allyson sang a pair of
enduring ballads by Ms. McPartland: “Twilight World” (lyrics by Johnny
Mercer) and “There’ll Be Other Times” (lyrics by Margaret Jones).

And Norah Jones, who recalled seeing Ms. McPartland when Ms. Jones was
13 and hoarding bootleg cassettes of “Piano Jazz” — “You killed my
social life, Marian,” she said — sang three standards in a row. They
got progressively better: “Blame It on My Youth” was likable, but
“Yesterdays,” sung at Ms. McPartland’s request, felt rewardingly like
a stretch. For a moment Ms. Jones sounded like a true-blue jazz
singer, even as she sounded like herself.

Ms. McPartland still has her pellucid touch and her careful yet
comfortable style, as she demonstrated on several trio numbers,
including “Turnaround,” a blues byOrnette Coleman. That tune can be
heard on “Twilight World” (Concord), Ms. McPartland’s sparkling new
studio album.

So can “Alfie,” the Burt Bacharach movie theme, which Ms. McPartland
plays as a solo meditation. She included it in her set at Dizzy’s, and
it was a quiet gem: sophisticated but simple, without an ounce of
pretense or self-absorption. In other words, entirely appropriate.