[Dixielandjazz] Setting Up a Jazz Club

Robin Gaskell glosa at westnet.com.au
Sat Mar 22 03:53:09 PDT 2008

Hello there at DixielandJazz Digest,
    I am retired in a country town in NSW, Australia, and I am seeking advice on the dos and don'ts of setting up a small jazz club in the town. Lithgow is in the tablelands just west of the Blue Mountains behind Sydney: a small group of us have been practicing to form a jazz group, but this is seen as a separate thing from the idea of an open jazz club where all are welcome.
    So, there might not be a complete 'home band' available at the 'club', and most of the members of our practice group are readers - not ear players (made up of musicians from the local brass band and community orchestra).  We would obviously be starting rather small, but have our location and time picked out: it will be in a local hotel on the fourth Sunday of the month.  There is already an existing pattern, with a Folk Club running on the first Sunday in the same pub.
    I have asked people to register their interest by contacting me, having advertised in the local community diary.  Also, I have canvassed members of the folk club.

    It would not be a commercial club, but I don't know if it is best to have memberships with a nominal subscription fee, or whether we should keep it very informal at the start, with an easy come, easy go atmosphere.  There is no piano at the pub, and I would have to try to tee up someone with a snare drum, at least.  I wonder if any of your subscribers recognise our situation as one that they have been through, and for which they can pass on the benefits of their experience.

Looking forward to recieving a slew of good advice,

Robin Gaskell