[Dixielandjazz] Gratuitous comment

Stan McDonald stanmm at comcast.net
Wed Mar 19 23:37:36 PDT 2008

Whenever I take time to plough through the maze of subjectivities on  DJML, I am tempted to indulge in my own. So I succumb to that temptation, regarding recent mentions of Doc Cheatham. I fronted the New Black Eagle Jazz Band with Doc on several special occasions in the later 1970's -- at the Sticky Wicket in Hopkinton, Massachusetts and on the Jazzboat, out of Boston Harbor, which was the biggest jazz club in town; holding about 600 people on separate decks, on each of two sailings per night.

I never heard of Doc playing soprano sax, but he and I got along very warmly, personally and  professionally.  Half of the fans and musicians that we knew then are now dead -- including many, such as Louis, that our latter day pundits love to pontificate about. Be forewarned, I intend to update them with a book before I leave this world behind (Irving Berlin). I never met Django, but I have two recordings that do justice to Nuages.

Stan McDonald:  bluehorizonjazzband.com.