[Dixielandjazz] Short Question...

EDWIN COLTRIN boreda at sbcglobal.net
Tue Mar 18 22:52:20 PDT 2008

Ah Yes those of you downunder, the Oz types, being cobbers instead of blokes. And truly miles from the mother tongue.

  Well as I have had pronounced in my presence  "Slainte" has several pronounciatins, depending on where you hail from,  For you  I suppose, SLAWN- CHE, with accent on SLAWN., others have promounced it as    SLAN-JE, eith the pronounciation of the J as a g in garage, last g.

  Mhath is a unique word, pronounced as either VA or by some as an aspirated word such as   VA'A.

  Slainte is both a Scottish and Irish  word usually used in toasts  meaning Good Health"

  But to put it in  a different perspective. I like to throw in one of my favorites " LECHYD DA" which is a far cry from Scottish,

  Perhaps Don, ( don't water his scotch) Ingle may offer other comments,

  Slainte

  Leichyd da  (another spelling)

  Ed

  je

Max Hughes <maxuuu at esc.net.au> wrote:
      v\:* {   BEHAVIOR: url (#default#vml)  }      v\:* {   BEHAVIOR: url (#default#vml)  }        BA285063-5BCE-11D4-AF8D-0050DAC67E11                http://us.f832.mail.yahoo.com/ym/Upload?Data=upl1875001660  repeat  #eff3f7  left  top  ANIM3D00-NONE-0000-0000-000000000000  0  ANIM3D00-NONE-0000-0000-000000000000  1  6486DDE0-3EFD-11D4-BA3D-0050DAC68030  0  6486DDE0-3EFD-11D4-BA3D-0050DAC68030  1  C3C52140-4147-11D4-BA3D-0050DAC68030  0  X-ASN,X-ASH,X-AN,X-AP,X-AD  ;              G'day Ed,

  Sorry to be a nuisance, but I am wondering how you pronounce "Slainte m'hath".

  I see the expression fairly frequently, particularly the Slainte part, but none of my uneducated Aussie cobbers know how it is pronounced.

  Even my Scottish mates  are ignorant.

  Care to try and spell it out phonetically?

  Enquiring minds are just dying to know.

  Cheers

  Max

  Enjoy life. This is not a rehearsal
  Max Hughes
           4 Bonaparte Place Rowville 3178 AUSTRALIA
           03 9752 7867, 0434 672326