[Dixielandjazz] more on C-melody sax

Don Ingle dingle at nomadinter.net
Tue Mar 18 14:06:15 PDT 2008

More on  C-Melody andSoprano Sax.

In the 1960's I worked with Rosy McHargue at Zucka's in Pasadena and
later the old Green Hotel i the same burg. Rosy played C-melody sax .
His "Blue is the Night" a lovely tune that he made his own. (It's on his
last Buck label release).
Soprano sax -- one should also remember "Pompton Turnpike" with Charlie
Barnett's soprano sax lead Good little big band rendition well played.
Bob Wilbur plays it more like a lead alto approach with a hint of some
Basie/Ellington lead alto influence in there somewhere. That is when he
is not showing his Bechet mentoring.
All in all, the little squack machine has had its moments in some hands.
In my dad's, with Spike Jones, it was played deliberately brittle like
fingernails on a blackboard. Hey, it's what the gig called for, eh?
(Sorry -- in No. Michigan we live pretty close to Canada and those
"Eh's" just slip in there.)
Don Ingle